In recent, technological advancement including a vehicle black box (VBB) has led to reducing such underreporting issues and errors of crash data. The objective of this study is to analyze the injury severity of cyclists on taxi-to-two wheeler crashes based on the accurate crash data collected from the VBB in taxi. This study defined the two wheelers as bicycle and motorcycle. To perform this study, we used the VBB data collected from taxis operating in Incheon, South Korea for a two-year period (2010-2011). An ordered probit model was applied to analyze the injury severity in crashes. As a result, new injury severity factors were found: increase of the crash speed of taxi, damage of crash-involved vehicles (i.e., taxi and/or two wheeler), not standing of cyclists after crash, and second or third impact of cyclists after first crash.
최근 도입되고 있는 첨단 차량 장치는 교통 안전분야에서 중요한 이슈가 되어왔던 중대형 사고 위주의 자료수집, 사고 자료의 정확성과 같은 다양한 문제를 해결할 수 있는 대안으로 부각되고 있다. 본 연구는 이러한 첨단 차량 장치의 하나인 차량 블랙박스 자료를 활용하여, 이륜차(two wheeler: TW) 즉, 자전거 혹은 오토바이와 택시간 사고 발생 시 이륜차 운전자의 사고 심각도를 분석하고자 하였다. 연구를 위해 인천시에서 2010년부터 2011년까지 영업용 택시 블랙박스에 기록된 택시-이륜차 사고 자료를 활용하였으며, 심각도 분석을 위해 순서형 프로빗 모형을 적용하였다. 결과적으로 기존 연구결과에서는 확인할 수 없는 새로운 심각도 요인이 발견되었다. 즉, 충돌 직전의 택시 속도가 높을수록, 택시 또는 이륜차의 파손이 발생한 경우, 사고 후 이륜차 운전자의 보행이 불가능할 경우, 그리고 1차 사고 후 이륜차 운전자가 2, 3차 충격으로 이어진 경우 사고 심각도는 더욱 높아지는 것으로 나타났다.
- Choi, J. W. and Kum, K. J. (2014). “Analysis of factors influencing severity of motorcycle accidents using ordered probit model.” International Journal of Highway Engineering, Vol. 16, No. 5, pp. 143-154 (in Korean).
- Chung, Y. (2018). “Injury severity analysis in taxi-pedestrian crashes: An application of reconstructed crash data using a vehicle black box.” Accident Analysis & Prevention, Vol. 111, pp. 345-353.
- Chung, Y. and Chang, I. (2015). “How accurate is accident data in road safety research? An application of vehicle black box data regarding pedestrian-to-taxi accidents in Korea.” Accident Analysis & Prevention, Vol. 84, pp. 1-8.
- Chung, Y., Song, T.-J. and Yoon, B.-J. (2014). “Injury severity in delivery-motorcycle to vehicle crashes in the seoul metropolitan area.” Accident Analysis & Prevention, Vol. 62, pp. 79-86.
- Chung, Y. and Won, M. (2018). “A novel framework for sustainable traffic safety programs using the public as sensors of hazardous road information.” Sustainability, Vol. 10, No. 11, p. 3892.
- Goldstein, J. P. (1986). “The effect of motorcycle helmet use on the probability of fatality and the severity of head and neck injuries: A latent variable framework.” Evaluation Review, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 355-375.
- Klop, J. and Khattak, A. (1999). “Factors influencing bicycle crash severity on two-lane, undivided roadways in north carolina.” Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 1674, pp. 78-85.
- Na, H. and Park, B. (2012). “Analysis on the accident severity of motorcycle using ordered logit model.” Journal of Korea Planning Association, Vol. 47, No. 4, pp. 233-240 (in Korean).
- Oh, J., Kim, E. and Kim, D. (2007). “A study on the bicycle accident injury severity at urban intersections.” Journal of The Korean Society of Civil Engineers D, Vol. 27, No. 4D, pp. 389-395 (in Korean).
- Quddus, M. A., Noland, R. B. and Chin, H. C. (2002). “An analysis of motorcycle injury and vehicle damage severity using ordered probit models.” Journal of Safety Research, Vol. 33, No. 4, pp. 445-462.
- Savolainen, P. and Mannering, F. (2007). “Probabilistic models of motorcyclists’ injury severities in single- and multi-vehicle crashes.” Accident Analysis & Prevention, Vol. 39, No. 5, pp. 955-963.
- Shankar, V. and Mannering, F. (1996). “An exploratory multinomial logit analysis of single-vehicle motorcycle accident severity.” Journal of Safety Research, Vol. 27, No. 3, pp. 183-194.
- Shin, H.-J., Hong, J.-Y. and Lee, S.-B. (2012). “A study on the factors affecting the severity of bicycle-related accidents.” Journal of Transport Research, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 67-78 (in Korean).
- Weiss, A. A. (1992). “The effects of helmet use on the severity of head injuries in motorcycle accidents.” Journal of the American Statistical Association, Vol. 87, No. 417, pp. 48-56.
- Yan, X., Ma, M., Huang, H., Abdel-Aty, M. and Wu, C. (2011). “Motor vehicle–bicycle crashes in beijing: Irregular maneuvers, crash patterns, and injury severity.” Accident Analysis & Prevention, Vol. 43, No. 5, pp. 1751-1758.